Thursday, October 2, 2008

Children, Books, & Nature

So, I went to thefreedictionary.com to see what they considered to be the definitions of these terms. It is suppose to be "correct" and I just wanted to see how exactly they thought these things were. It is kind of interesting. For me to describe what I think a child is, or a book for that matter, I'm not sure how much of what I think would go along with the technical definition.

What is a child?
To me, a child is something that is a part of everyone. Deep down, I think everyone still has that small part of them that is a child. It is just a matter of whether or not someone ever lets that part of them out. Being a child is what allows you to believe without questioning if something is possible. It allows you to read fairy tales with an imagination or still believe in Santa Claus, even though he isn't real, or just to be able to open your mind, think outside the box. The critical or adult part of us wants to say that, "that's not real, it's impossible, that would never happen" while I think the child in us is saying, "wow, that guy is riding around on a rooster, wouldn't that be fun!"

What is a book?
Then, when you move on to a book, I do think it is a literary work or something to present and understand knowledge, but it's so much more than that. A book is what allows you to go places you never thought possible. A book opens your mind and allows you to travel to some far off place or go back time. A book is something that lets you imagine the impossible. It expands your knowledge, whether it be with facts or rubbish... As for nature, I'm not sure about what I think nature is. It can be the environment that we all live in or it can be people's characteristics.

What is nature?
Nature is such a hard word to describe as something. I think maybe it's the environment that surrounds each of us, possibly effecting the choices that we make, the choices that perhaps form our character. Is it possible for it to be both of those things. I just don't know about nature.

No comments: