Sunday, October 26, 2008

Thoughts on "My Book & Heart"...


One thing that stuck out in my mind was the story of Little Goody Two Shoes. How the story got from where it started to what it means now in today's society. I have never read the story of Little Goody Two Shoes and I knew nothing about it. The one thing that I associated with the term "Little Goody Two Shoes" is someone who is a know-it-all, or a suck up, or "that girl/guy" in class that seems like they know everything. After seeing the movie, that is not where that name originated at all! The name came from the little girl who finally got two good shoes! I find it so interesting that the story goes from that one extreme to the other. How on earth did if shift that much in its meaning.
I loved the part about "The House That Jack Built." Hearing Michael and Lynda read it back and forth to each other was fun.
Another part I liked were the pictures of wood carving and the text that was beneath them. A lot of them seemed to contradict each other which I found very interesting. I think it is weird on how things were interpreted back then to how they are now. It is amazing to see how far things have come since then. What is and isn't acceptable. Back then they showed how man and ape looked the same where now evolution is a huge debate. But, did the idea of not being allowed to question it slow down that debate?
One question I do have is where the title "My Book & Heart Shall Never Part" came from? Is it from one of the little books that Lynda had. Is there a specific reason for her naming the film this? I remember seeing the little girl read it from one of the books I think.

No comments: