Friday, November 7, 2008

My Favorite Alice Chapter!


My favorite chapter of Alice would have to be Chapter VIII, The Queen's Croquet Ground.  I think it is one of the most vibrant or colorful chapters, that or I just seem to follow it better than other chapters in Alice.  The chapter opens up with the three gardeners (individual cards from a deck of cards mind you) arguing while painting a white roses on a bush red.  Then the croquet game starts.  I love the imagery.  And of course, you have the queen running around the whole time shouting "Off with his/her head!"  I think the croquet scene is why I like it so much because I actually consider/think what it might be like to play with the same things they do.  I wonder what it would be like to play with a flamingo for a croquet mallet, a live hedgehog for the ball, and soldiers (who are cards from a deck) as the arches that are constantly moving around.  Would it be really entertaining to try to play under those circumstances or would it be really frustrating?

No comments: