Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Pullman & His Dark Materials



I had many previous assumptions before reading Pullman's His Dark Materials. I remember that when the movie was getting ready to come out there was so much controversy over it. "The kids kill god" is all I ever heard about it. I grew up in a christian home and so at first I was not at all interested in the movie or the book for that matter. I never much thought any more about it. Then I came to buy the books for this class and I see Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials is on the reading list. At first I wasn't thrilled. I had no desire to read it at all. After I began reading it though, I really like it. It had so much detail and was very interesting to read. I really wish that I wouldn't have let all the bad talk about it keep me from reading it. After we had one of the discussions in class about possible religious meanings for it, I realized there were so many different ways to interpret it. I have even recommended the book to others because it really was a great series to read.

No comments: